Monday, December 14, 2009

Homeschooling During the Holidays

Heart of a Mommy wanted to know how others handle homeschooling during hectic times. The best advice I can give is to relax! If you can learn to let God direct your homeschooling lives, the important things will get covered. And it won't look like you might expect.

I have been ill since my second child was born, and for awhile there, I wasn't sure how I would homeschool. I just knew it would be easier than sending them to public school because I wouldn't be forced into somebody else's schedule. (That's not the reason I homeschool. I have very strong spiritual reasons.) My children are 13 and 15 now and we have changed approaches several times when the Lord led me to do so. The biggest thing I've learned through it all is just to relax. Did I already say that? It bears repeating! Any gaps can be filled when the need arises. This is because Hubby and I are teaching the kids to learn for themselves. When they are adults, they need to know how to find the answers themselves. So we're giving them that skill set now.

As for the holidays, we just keep on doing school work on any day that we're able, because there are so many days that get missed. The 3 R's, after Bible, are about the only things I try to maintain consistently at any time. The extras always come in through our lifestyle. They learn about history, geography, social studies, etc. when I recognize a learning opportunity in our daily life.

Honestly, being chronically ill has forced me to depend on the Lord for every aspect of daily life, including getting my kids educated. And for that I am eternally grateful!

No comments: