Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Feminism Lies

You can find plenty on feminism at Ladies Against Feminism. But I found an interesting tidbit elsewhere that I'd like to share.

I'm reading "Story Craft" by John Erickson, the creator of Hank the Cowdog. Chapter 12 is entitled "Crooked 'Accounting' in Movies". He says, "In their frenzy to bring 'strong women' to the screen, writers seem to lose all sense of equilibrium. One common trick is to surround a female lead with male characters who are spineless weenies. That's crooked. Why? Honest accounting says that women who hang out with weak men are weak. True strength comes from courage and goodness, not from a comparison to mediocrity."

I really appreciate this because I recently watched the movie, "Julie and Julia". Rowdy and I were both impressed with it because it portrayed both women as having good relationships with their husbands. It presented the men in a favorable light and did not make them into "spineless weenies". Kudos!

No comments: