
I am not a vegetable eater. Most of you know that (since most of my readers are my family
First, I made a Roasted Winter Root Vegetable dish in the crock pot, thanks to Stephanie over at A Year of Slow Cooking. Served it when our missionary friends were here. They loved it! I tolerated it, but I didn't really like the turnips, which I used instead of rutabagas. Use what you have, right? Anyway, Rowdy said he was surprised that he liked the carrots. He usually doesn't like them cooked.
So next I got this really cool cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld from the library. Yes, she's Jerry's wife. You can read all about it here. Yes, the kids need more veggies in their diet, but so do I! So it's as much for me as it is for them.
Today I steamed and pureed vegetables! (Can't figure out how to put an accent mark over the e.) Aren't you proud of me?! I had no trouble with the bell peppers (both green and red), but the broccoli wouldn't liquefy. And the carrots didn't get smooth enough for me. I was using your standard blender, so obviously I need a new kitchen appliance. Tee hee! Perhaps the Magic Bullet like Jerry bought for Jessica off a late night TV promotion! So I stored the troublemakers in the fridge to try again later.
I also have a number of other vegetables waiting their turn: cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, baby spinach... seems like there's something else. Well, the point is I'm feeling so virtuous! I'm storing purees in the freezer, all ready for hiding in various recipes. Now, what shall I make first? Oh, I only have bell peppers done, so that limits me....
Maybe Turkey Chili (I would mix ground hamburger & ground turkey together.)
There's Sloppy Joes (but my family's not fond of that).
Salsa Dip (again, not a family favorite, but maybe I'll try that).
Well, at any rate, I have plenty more veggies to process. There are some yummy recipes that I can't wait to try!
Oh! Sweet potatoes! That's the one I was forgetting. Aren't you glad I remembered?!
2 comments:
Wow, I am speechless. Veggies in the Baker house.... :o)
Wise guy, eh?! Er, gal....
Post a Comment