Monday, November 19, 2007

Joy

I'm proofreading "The Expositor's Bible 14: The Books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther". Ran across some interesting quotes....

"People who cannot feel strong religious gladness have never known the heartache of deep religious grief." He's referring to the Jews as they return to Jerusalem after having been captives in Babylon for 70 years. I like this quote because it is true in my own life. As a result of mercury toxicity, I went through a deep depression last year. I have known deep spiritual grief. I feel more keenly now the spiritual joy that comes my way.

"There is no reason why religion should wear any other [than the sunniest] aspect to the devout soul. It should be happy; for is it not the worship of a happy God?" He's speaking of Judaism, but Christianity sprang from the Jews, did it not? It applies to us as well.

The joy of the Lord is my strength.

No comments: