Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Christmas Strategies

I have resolved to stop buying ANY sewing or craft supplies, unless absolutely necessary, until... I don't know when. Until after Christmas, until I have put a serious dent in my stash of supplies... until we have a house! Yeah, that's the one. I've started asking myself, "Do I want to buy this item more than I want a house?" That usually does the trick.

So Christmas is going to be more handmade than usual this year. I can't put most of my projects on here until after the gifts have been received, but I can talk about some of the things I'm doing.

First, I made a list of everyone to whom we need to give a gift. I actually keep this list available all year long. When someone expresses a desire for something, I make a note of it. (This works for birthdays, too.) And when I come across a craft I'd like to make for somebody specific, I make a note of it, too.

I have a large stash of fabric, yarn, and miscellaneous supplies. What crafter doesn't? Working only from this supply is limiting in a way, but it also forces me to be creative, which is a good thing! I will have to buy a few items, like interfacing, to finish some of the projects. But not until I absolutely have to! Look:
This is what I do when I only have bits and pieces of interfacing left. Part of the reason is that we live 30 miles from Anywhere and I don't have a trip to town planned until Friday. Not telling what this is going to be, but the recipient is going to love it! And if not, they can just give it back. Tee hee! Because I love it already!

1 comment:

Ruby.Rebecca said...

I love it! Oh wait. What is it again?

teehee

I think it's marvelous, your determination to use up what ya got. I have done the same, and recently had to buy thread. I tell ya, it was HARD to be in that store and ONLY buy thread! But I did it! :D

love ya