It bothers me when a verse is quoted out of context. One such verse is, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." (John 8:32) This verse does not apply to just anybody! Read the context: "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (vv. 31, 32)
I was reading this the Live Well article for December and something struck me. (You can click on the pear in the Live Well column at the top of my site.) I have to admit here that I struggle with weight. I can blame a lot of it on my illness and various medications I've taken over the years. However, the responsibility to get it off again rests with me. I have struggled with disciplining my appetite and my exercise habits. Well, here's what struck me as I read. I can not know the truth that makes me free - free from being overweight, free from laziness - unless I am continuing in God's word... unless I am truly a disciple.
Confession time: I haven't done as well as I should in this area lately. I have struggled with depression and a "what's the use?" attitude. God has spoken to my heart. "If you, Kyria, will continue in My word, then you are My disciple. Then you will know the truth you need for whatever situation you face, and that truth will make you free." How's that for motivation?!
2 comments:
Good post. Good reminder! I like all the new things you've got on your blog!!!! Your touch not, taste not link is not working. :o(
Okay, I removed the link. You can read it at the Christian Women Online site by clicking on the pear in the Live Well tip at the top of my blog.
Post a Comment